Minor girl raped in Odisha
Puri: A minor girl was allegedly forcibly taken away and raped here sending the district administration into a tizzy as the state-wide outcry over the molestation and burning to death of a lady school teacher is yet to die down.
Puri sub-divisional police officer (SDPO) Rajendra Rout today said a 15-year-old school girl was forcibly taken away and raped by a youth near Muninda when she was on her way to a coaching centre on a bicycle last evening.
The girl was admitted to the community health centre (CHC) at Delanga after the incident and then shifted to the district headquarters hospital here.
Based on a complaint, police swung into action and arrested the accused who hails from nearby Gunduchipatna village. The youth was whisked away to the police station at Kanasa to save him from the wrath of the angry villagers, Routh said.
Cases under different sections of IPC including rape and section 4 of Protection of Children of Sexual Offence Act had been registered against him, the SDPO said.
A large number of people staged a road blockade at Hatadelanga in protest against the rape and brought the movement of traffic to different places to a grinding halt for some time.
The protesters demanded immediate arrest and stringent punishment to the accused and adequate compensation to the victim. The road block was lifted after the sub-collector, Puri and police officials reached the spot.
The incident ironically took place near the native village of the lady teacher who was set afire at her school hostel at Tikri in Rayagada district late last month for refusing to withdraw a molestation case against a sub-inspector of schools.
She was set on fire in her sleep in the school hostel and succumbed to her burn injuries on November 2 in a Vishakhapatnam hospital.
The school sub-inspector, who is the prime accused and against whom she had filed a molestation complaint in July was arrested from the Odisha-Andhra Pradesh border just two days before her death.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre