Miscreants loot ornaments from temple in Odisha
Berhampur: Unidentified armed miscreants looted silver and gold ornaments from the store room of the famous Jagannath temple at Gosaninuagon in Berhampur.
At least four masked men carrying sharp weapons barged into the store room after breaking the doors and threatening the guards and devotees yesterday.
They also broke the locks of the boxes in which precious items were stored, police said.
Before decamping with the ornaments, the miscreants herded the devotees and the security guard inside the store room.
The looted jewelleries included about 8 kg of silver, about 140 grams of gold and several other articles made of brass-metals, said temple Manager Panchanana Choudhury. The jewellery was used to adorn the idols.
While at least three of them entered into the room, another was keeping a watch outside, police said.
Senior police officers, including DIG (southern range) Amitabh Thakur, SP (Berhampur) Anirudha Kumar Singh rushed to the temple for investigation.
The scientific team and dog squad have been engaged as part of the investigation, the SP said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical