Miscreants loot ornaments from temple in Odisha
Berhampur: Unidentified armed miscreants looted silver and gold ornaments from the store room of the famous Jagannath temple at Gosaninuagon in Berhampur.
At least four masked men carrying sharp weapons barged into the store room after breaking the doors and threatening the guards and devotees yesterday.
They also broke the locks of the boxes in which precious items were stored, police said.
Before decamping with the ornaments, the miscreants herded the devotees and the security guard inside the store room.
The looted jewelleries included about 8 kg of silver, about 140 grams of gold and several other articles made of brass-metals, said temple Manager Panchanana Choudhury. The jewellery was used to adorn the idols.
While at least three of them entered into the room, another was keeping a watch outside, police said.
Senior police officers, including DIG (southern range) Amitabh Thakur, SP (Berhampur) Anirudha Kumar Singh rushed to the temple for investigation.
The scientific team and dog squad have been engaged as part of the investigation, the SP said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range