Mishap struck car festival, two run over by chariot wheels
Berhampur (Odisha): The annual car festival in a village in Odisha`s Ganjam district turned tragic when an elderly woman and her five-year-old grand daughter died after coming under the rolling wheels of the chariot of Lord Jagannath, police said on Monday.
The mishap struck Rukuni Sahu and her granddaughter Laxmi at Singipur yesterday, police said.
While Rukuni died on the spot, the child succumbed to injuries at MKCG Medical College Hospital here, said Inspector In-Charge of Patapur police station AK Barik.
There is a tradition here to throw nuts to the deity while pulling the chariot. Even as the devotees were jostling to have a clear glimpse of the Lord, the duo fell on the ground before coming under the wooden wheels of the chariot, Barik said.
Over one thousand people of the village and nearby areas thronged the place to pull the chariot, Barik said.
Pulling of the chariot was stalled following the incident and resumed today after performance of rituals, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra