Mishap struck car festival, two run over by chariot wheels
Berhampur (Odisha): The annual car festival in a village in Odisha`s Ganjam district turned tragic when an elderly woman and her five-year-old grand daughter died after coming under the rolling wheels of the chariot of Lord Jagannath, police said on Monday.
The mishap struck Rukuni Sahu and her granddaughter Laxmi at Singipur yesterday, police said.
While Rukuni died on the spot, the child succumbed to injuries at MKCG Medical College Hospital here, said Inspector In-Charge of Patapur police station AK Barik.
There is a tradition here to throw nuts to the deity while pulling the chariot. Even as the devotees were jostling to have a clear glimpse of the Lord, the duo fell on the ground before coming under the wooden wheels of the chariot, Barik said.
Over one thousand people of the village and nearby areas thronged the place to pull the chariot, Barik said.
Pulling of the chariot was stalled following the incident and resumed today after performance of rituals, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Cow slaughter should be banned across the country; Muslims should stop eating meat: Azam Khan
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!