MNREGS funds lying unused in Odisha
Kendrapara: Not a single penny allotted under the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (MNREGS) was utilised by 21 gram panchayats in Kendrapara district for which show cause notice has been issued to the sarpanches and panchayat executive officers.
The district administration had served the show cause notice to the gram panchayats four days ago and had given them 15 days time to reply as to why they could not spend the funds for implementing the Centre`s flagship poverty alleviation project, official sources said.
"The administration has resolved to expedite the completion of pending projects. Those found negligent in executing the work would be taken to task. The errant officials and sarpanches are being penalised," Kendrapara Collector Niranjan Nayak said.
The 21 gram panchayats were identified as Bagada, Dashipur, Shilipur, Bachara, Balipatana, Baluria, Nilakanthapur, Penthapala, Mangalpur, Koranda, Pradhanpada, Pegarapada, Aragala, Attala, Badambila, Bhuinpur, Kuladiha, Narendrapur, Nuapada, Padanipala and Sansida, the sources said.
The implementation of the flagship project was left much to be desired in the entire district with 230 gram panchayats where only 50 per cent of funds allocated for 2012-2013 financial year could be spent.
An estimated Rs 8.81 crore was lying unspent during the current fiscal, the sources said.
"That is why, there is every possibility of central allocation being stopped towards Kendrapara district as utilisation certificates of sixty per cent of the projects are yet to be submitted", an official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi