Mob torches vehicles, 3 policemen suspended in Odisha
Angul (Odisha): Angry over custodial death of a youth, protesters torched an old police station building and vehicles in Odisha`s Angul district even as three police personnel including in-charge of Jarapara police station, were placed under suspension on Wednesday in connection with the incident.
A large number of people went on rampage and set afire the old Jarapara police station building and about half a dozen vehicles last evening protesting the death of Sanjay Dehury of Ughi village, Angul district Superintendent of Police Narasingh Bhol said.
The demonstrators also blocked National Highway 55 for a few hours and indulged in brick-bating. Senior police officials including the SP rushed to the spot with police reinforcements to defuse the situation.
Assistant sub-inspector of police SK Satpathy, constable Arjun Satpathy and in-charge of Jarapara police station, Harmohan Nayak was placed under suspension today, the SP said
Mob violence broke out after locals alleged that Dehury village, who was picked up by police on December 31 following a complaint lodged by another youth, died in police custody after being tortured.
However, police maintained that Dehury had committed suicide. The locals refused to buy the police version and alleged that he had been tortured in the lock-up and wanted to know why the body was quickly shifted to Angul hospital without the inquest by a magistrate.
The SP denied the charge of foul play and said Dehury had not been tortured in the police station.
DIG of north central range PS Ranpise said the death will be investigated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured