Mohanty returns to Odisha Assembly after 20 days
Bhubaneswar: Former Odisha minister Raghunath Mohanty, accused of dowry torture by his daughter-in-law and now on bail, attended the Assembly after a gap of 20 days.
Mohanty, who had resigned as law minister on March 15, a day after his daughter-in-law Barsa Swony Choudhury slapped the torture charge against him and his family, was welcomed by his party colleagues. He, however, did not participate in any business of the house.
He sat in the front row of the treasury bench and remained silent.
Mohanty, who was arrested along with his wife from Shalimar near Howrah in West Bengal on March 30 by Human Rights Protection Cell after evading the police for a fortnight and secured bail after spending three nights in jail, met Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik at his chamber and apprised him about the case status, party sources said.
He avoided the media and refused to interact.
The house was adjourned till 11.30 am after functioning for barely two minutes due to the ruckus by opposition Congress members. They also stormed into the Well as soon as the House assembled demanding withdrawal of Odisha Reservation of Vacancies in Posts and Services (For SC and ST) Amendment Bill, 2013.
They have been demanding the withdrawal of the controversial bill since the past three days.
Mohanty, who is a five time MLA from Basta Assembly seat of Balasore district, was in the House throughout the day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad