Monsoon covers whole of Odisha
Bhubaneswar: The southwest monsoon, which arrived in Odisha two days ago, advanced rapidly and covered the entire state Monday, an official said.
"The southwest monsoon has further advanced into the remaining parts of the state, and covered the whole of Odisha today (Monday)" S.S. Sahu, director of the Bhubaneswar Meteorological Centre, said.
The monsoon normally reaches the state by June 10. However, this year it arrived two days ahead of schedule.
Odisha contributes about one-tenth of the country`s total rice production. A good monsoon is crucial for the state, which has about 75 percent of its workforce engaged in agriculture.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown