Monsoon covers whole of Odisha
Bhubaneswar: The southwest monsoon, which arrived in Odisha two days ago, advanced rapidly and covered the entire state Monday, an official said.
"The southwest monsoon has further advanced into the remaining parts of the state, and covered the whole of Odisha today (Monday)" S.S. Sahu, director of the Bhubaneswar Meteorological Centre, said.
The monsoon normally reaches the state by June 10. However, this year it arrived two days ahead of schedule.
Odisha contributes about one-tenth of the country`s total rice production. A good monsoon is crucial for the state, which has about 75 percent of its workforce engaged in agriculture.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi