Monsoon covers whole of Odisha
Bhubaneswar: The southwest monsoon, which arrived in Odisha two days ago, advanced rapidly and covered the entire state Monday, an official said.
"The southwest monsoon has further advanced into the remaining parts of the state, and covered the whole of Odisha today (Monday)" S.S. Sahu, director of the Bhubaneswar Meteorological Centre, said.
The monsoon normally reaches the state by June 10. However, this year it arrived two days ahead of schedule.
Odisha contributes about one-tenth of the country`s total rice production. A good monsoon is crucial for the state, which has about 75 percent of its workforce engaged in agriculture.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured