Monsoon hits Odisha two days early
Bhubaneswar: The southwest monsoon arrived in Odisha Saturday, two days ahead of its usual schedule, an official said.
"It advanced over some parts of south Odisha and conditions are favourable for further advance of the monsoon over some more parts of the state during next three days," a senior official of the Bhubaneswar meteorological centre told IANS.
Odisha contributes about one-tenth of the country`s total rice production. A good monsoon is crucial for the state, which has about 75 percent of its workforce engaged in the agriculture sector.
Monsoon normally reaches the state by June 10. However, it was delayed by a week last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand