Monsoon hits Odisha two days early
Bhubaneswar: The southwest monsoon arrived in Odisha Saturday, two days ahead of its usual schedule, an official said.
"It advanced over some parts of south Odisha and conditions are favourable for further advance of the monsoon over some more parts of the state during next three days," a senior official of the Bhubaneswar meteorological centre told IANS.
Odisha contributes about one-tenth of the country`s total rice production. A good monsoon is crucial for the state, which has about 75 percent of its workforce engaged in the agriculture sector.
Monsoon normally reaches the state by June 10. However, it was delayed by a week last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers
- Three accused of 2009 Sri Lanka cricket team attack killed, claims Pakistan
- Heart failure among the aged may triple by 2060
- Shahid Kapoor holding his newly born daughter is the cutest thing you will see today! – Pic inside