Monsoon hits Odisha two days early
Bhubaneswar: The southwest monsoon arrived in Odisha Saturday, two days ahead of its usual schedule, an official said.
"It advanced over some parts of south Odisha and conditions are favourable for further advance of the monsoon over some more parts of the state during next three days," a senior official of the Bhubaneswar meteorological centre told IANS.
Odisha contributes about one-tenth of the country`s total rice production. A good monsoon is crucial for the state, which has about 75 percent of its workforce engaged in the agriculture sector.
Monsoon normally reaches the state by June 10. However, it was delayed by a week last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Indo-US counter-terrorism joint working group to meet today
- Hillary Clinton more qualified than anyone to serve as US president: Barack Obama
- Rahul Gandhi likely to speak on price rise in Lok Sabha today
- 2006 Aurangabad arms haul case: Ten years later, MCOCA court likely to deliver verdict today
- PM Modi to chair NITI Aayog meet today, review 15-year vision plan