Munde demands central package for flood-hit Orissa
Bhubaneswar: BJP`s Deputy Leader in
Parliament, Gopinath Munde on Saturday accused both central and BJD
governments in Orissa of neglecting flood-hit people in the
state and demanded a special central package for the victims.
"While the state government has failed in undertaking
proper relief and restoration work in the flood-hit areas, the
Centre is yet to provide any assistance or package," Munde
told reporters after visiting several flood affected areas.
Terming the recent floods as both "man-made and
nature`s futy", Munde said while heavy rains led to the
deluge, mismanagement of water at Hirakud reservoir was one of
the major reasons behind the disaster.
Munde said a BJP delegation would meet the prime
minister within a week and seek adequate adequate help for
Orissa in the form of a special package similar to the ones
announced for Andhara Pradesh and West Bengal.
Accusing Orissa government of failing to provide
adequaye help to the flood-hit people, he alleged that some
food items were provided to the people for a couple of days,
but now many were left starving, shelterless and jobless.
He said relief should continue for more time, farmers
should be given compensation for crop loss and fishermen
should to be provided assistance for purchase of boats and
Stating that Orissa was hit by floods frequently,
Munde said some scientific method of water management must be
evolved to prevent such occurrence.
Proposing river-linking, he said both Orissa and
Chhattisgarh could sign a pact for proper coordination and
sharing of information on flow of water in the Mahanadi river
upstream before reaching Hirakud dam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31