Munde demands central package for flood-hit Orissa
Bhubaneswar: BJP`s Deputy Leader in
Parliament, Gopinath Munde on Saturday accused both central and BJD
governments in Orissa of neglecting flood-hit people in the
state and demanded a special central package for the victims.
"While the state government has failed in undertaking
proper relief and restoration work in the flood-hit areas, the
Centre is yet to provide any assistance or package," Munde
told reporters after visiting several flood affected areas.
Terming the recent floods as both "man-made and
nature`s futy", Munde said while heavy rains led to the
deluge, mismanagement of water at Hirakud reservoir was one of
the major reasons behind the disaster.
Munde said a BJP delegation would meet the prime
minister within a week and seek adequate adequate help for
Orissa in the form of a special package similar to the ones
announced for Andhara Pradesh and West Bengal.
Accusing Orissa government of failing to provide
adequaye help to the flood-hit people, he alleged that some
food items were provided to the people for a couple of days,
but now many were left starving, shelterless and jobless.
He said relief should continue for more time, farmers
should be given compensation for crop loss and fishermen
should to be provided assistance for purchase of boats and
Stating that Orissa was hit by floods frequently,
Munde said some scientific method of water management must be
evolved to prevent such occurrence.
Proposing river-linking, he said both Orissa and
Chhattisgarh could sign a pact for proper coordination and
sharing of information on flow of water in the Mahanadi river
upstream before reaching Hirakud dam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP