Munde demands central package for flood-hit Orissa
Bhubaneswar: BJP`s Deputy Leader in
Parliament, Gopinath Munde on Saturday accused both central and BJD
governments in Orissa of neglecting flood-hit people in the
state and demanded a special central package for the victims.
"While the state government has failed in undertaking
proper relief and restoration work in the flood-hit areas, the
Centre is yet to provide any assistance or package," Munde
told reporters after visiting several flood affected areas.
Terming the recent floods as both "man-made and
nature`s futy", Munde said while heavy rains led to the
deluge, mismanagement of water at Hirakud reservoir was one of
the major reasons behind the disaster.
Munde said a BJP delegation would meet the prime
minister within a week and seek adequate adequate help for
Orissa in the form of a special package similar to the ones
announced for Andhara Pradesh and West Bengal.
Accusing Orissa government of failing to provide
adequaye help to the flood-hit people, he alleged that some
food items were provided to the people for a couple of days,
but now many were left starving, shelterless and jobless.
He said relief should continue for more time, farmers
should be given compensation for crop loss and fishermen
should to be provided assistance for purchase of boats and
Stating that Orissa was hit by floods frequently,
Munde said some scientific method of water management must be
evolved to prevent such occurrence.
Proposing river-linking, he said both Orissa and
Chhattisgarh could sign a pact for proper coordination and
sharing of information on flow of water in the Mahanadi river
upstream before reaching Hirakud dam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Cuteness alert! Meet Deepak Tijori's adorable daughter Samara Tijori – View pics
- Disrupted sleeping habits may cause suicidal thoughts
- US aid to Pakistan shrinks amid mounting frustration over militants
- SC asks Parsvnath to refund home buyers; builder says it can't repay
- Supreme Court admits plea to declare triple talaq illegal; issues notice to Centre