Museum proposed in honour of Biju Patnaik
Berhampur: Residents of G Nuagaon in Odisha`s Ganjam district have urged the government to set up a museum as a mark of honour to legendary Biju Patnaik in his ancestral house in the village located near Bhanjanagar, about 80 km from here.
The proposal has been mooted on the occasion of the 97th birth anniversary of the former chief minister.
Some of the articles, which were used by the legendary leader, are still intact. They include a cot, a chair, a wrist watch and some photographs including those of his father Laxmi Narayan Patnaik.
"Biju Babu frequently visisted the house and spent several nights at the village. A room was reserved in the house for him. Some of his belongings, including his photos, are stored in the room," said his 50-year-old nephew Pramod Patnaik.
Residents are very proud that Biju Patnaik belonged to this village. They will be happy if the government sets up a museum to display of his memorabilia, said Nihar Pradhan, a village youth.
"A proposal in this regard will be submitted to the government soon. We think the government will take it seriously", said former sarpanch Subash Khandual.
Biju`s nephew also supported the proposal. "If a museum on Biju Babu is set up, we will be extremely happy," said Pramod. There is a library in the village named after Laxmi Narayan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Marcus Rashford nets place in record books as England beat Australia 2-1
- India's NSG membership is not about arms, US tells Pakistan
- BSEB 12th Inter Arts Results 2016 : BSEB Bihar Board Intermediate Result 2016, BSEB 12th Vocational Results to be declared at biharboard.bih.nic.in, www.biharboard.net
- US snubs Pakistan, says India's entry to nuclear club is not about arms
- Congress to hold legislature party meeting in Puducherry today, decision on CM candidate likely