Naidu panel issues notices to Odisha govt officials
Cuttack: In its preliminary report, Justice AS Naidu Commission has neither given clean chit nor held any department or official responsible for the February liquor tragedy in Cuttack-Khurda districts in which at least 40 persons had died.
Amid confusion whether the people died consuming spurious liquor or spurious medicines, the commission yesterday asked secretaries of both excise and health departments to file their respective affidavits after refusing to accept the affidavits filed earlier by the deputy secretaries of these departments.
The commission also asked the government counsel to get information on what actions have been taken by concerned departments to ensure that tragedy of similar nature is not repeated.
Meanwhile, the state government has engaged two counsel to conduct the case before the commission.
In its preliminary report submitted to the government last month, it had made certain suggestions spelling out what measures to be taken by which departments to ensure that the incidents of liquor tragedies are not repeated again.
Fixing June 8 as the last date for receiving the affidavits, the commission once again invited statements from public along with affidavits pertaining to the incident so as to find the truth.
The commission has so far received as many as 75 affidavits along with statements.
The commission has also decided to visit Eastern Pharmaceuticals of Rasulgarh near Bhubaneswar on June 3 to enquire about preparation of certain drugs which were illegedly used as supplementary to liquor for its rich alcoholic content.
While ethyl alcohol to certain limit are permitted in some drugs, post mortem reports of those who died in February indicated presence of methyl alcohol in their bodies.
Methyl alcohol is industrial spirit which is supplied for industrial purpose only.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt