Naveen asks for international airport at Bhubaneswar
Bhubaneswar: The Civil Aviation Ministry on Thursday agreed to upgrade the Biju Patnaik Airport in Odisha to an international one after Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik met Civil Aviation Ajit Singh in Delhi today.
"The Union minister has assured the state government that all necessary steps are being taken to upgrade Biju Patnaik Domestic Airport to an international airport at the earliest," a release issued by the Chief Minister`s Office here said.
"The Union ministry will advise Air India and other domestic airlines to start international operations from Bhubaneswar," the release said.
The chief minister told Singh that the only operational domestic airport at Bhubaneswar was deprived of international operations.
He also urged the union minister to take steps for developing the Jharsuguda Airport and expanding the airstrip and other infrastructure for which 191 acre land was approved.
The state government also requested for starting international operations from Bhubaneswar to Middle East and South East Asian countries by AirIndia and domestic airlines.
Patnaik requested the Ministry of Civil Aviation to promote Odisha as a world-class tourist destination and provide support for holding a major conference in Bhubaneswar in early 2013.
Singh informed the state government that the Airports Authority of India would take up feasibility studies for the development of Jeypore and Gopalpur airstrips.
Patnaik said there was an urgent need to provide infrastructural support to the aviation sector in the state for ensuring unhindered industrialisation and flow of tourist traffic to Odisha.
Patnaik apprised the union minister that Odisha witnessed huge investments in various sectors and the total investment was Rs 3.21 lakh crore during calendar year 2011, which was was the highest in the country.
Similarly, there was significant increase in the inflow of domestic and international tourist traffic to Odisha.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened