Naveen asks home secretary, DGP to rush to Maoist-hit Koraput
Bhubaneswar: Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on Thursday asked the home secretary and director general of police (DGP) to rush to Koraput district and take stock of the situation in the southern region of the state.
Patnaik issued this direction while presiding over a high level review meeting on Tuesday`s landmine blast where at least four BSF jawans were killed and three others sustained injuries.
"The Chief Minister asked the two senior officials to go to Koraput and report him about the prevailing situation in there," a senior official said.
Besides, home secretary Vipin Kumar Saxena and DGP Prakash Mishra, the director of intelligence and inspector general (operation) attended the meeting.
They have already visited the blast spot at Raleguda under Pottangi police station where a vehicle carrying BSF jawans was ambushed by the Maoists, the official said.
While asking the state police to gear up combing operation in affected areas of Koraput district, sources said, Patnaik also directed senior officials to have better coordination with paramilitary forces.
At least five battalions of BSF jawans have been deployed in Odisha`s Maoist-hit Koraput and Malkangiri districts.
Besides BSF, Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) jawans and Odisha`s elite anti-naxal Special Operation Group (SOG) force have been deployed in anti-Maoist operation in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional