Naveen calls suspended Pyari `betrayer, thief`
Bhubaneswar: A day after suspending Rajya Sabha MP Pyari Mohan Mohapatra and two MLAs from ruling BJD and dismissing two ministers, Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on Sunday said a `mid-night operation` was attempted to topple his government in a "surreptitious manner."
"When I was away for a week on state government`s work to the UK, a mid-night operation took place. It was like a thief in the night who strike at someone`s house when occupants are away," Patnaik said.
"Really, what can I say, `Beiman` (betrayer) or `Beimani`", he said.
Patnaik said Mohapatra`s reaction after being suspended was nothing but out of frustration as he failed to topple the BJD government.
He was responding to Mohapatra`s statement last night calling the Chief Minister a "traitor" and the person who did not have any contribution towards growth of the party.
Admitting that he used to consult Mohapatra, his father Biju Patnaik`s secretary, on various matters, the chief minister said Mohapatra joined politics much later.
"The BJD was formed in 1997, I became chief minister in 2000. He joined the party two years after I became the chief minister," Patnaik said in response to Mohapatra`s statement that Naveen did not know the ABC of the BJD though he functioned as the party president.
"It was necessary to take steps in view of the situation. I have consulted party leaders, MLAs and Ministers before taking action against some people," Patnaik said.
Mohapatra was not available for comment as he had left for Mumbai to attend a family function.
Besides Mohapatra, Patnaik suspended MLAs Pravat Biswal and Bibhuti Balabantray and sacked ministers Anjali Behera (Women and Child Development, cabinet) and Sanjeev Sahu Commerce and Transport, Minister of State).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of problems of unemployement in India
- DNA: Analysis of how car makers are playing with people's life
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda- Part II
- DNA: A plane landed at -100 degree celsius to rescue a worker
- India’s bid for NSG membership blocked as member countries fail to arrive at a consensus
- 'Raped woman' remark: Finally, Salman Khan speaks to media - Here's what he said
- 'Unguided missile Subramanian Swamy has backfired at BJP'
- Applications of Pak, India for NSG membership cannot be considered in isolation: Pakistan Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- US election is about more than beating Donald Trump: Senator Bernie Sanders