Naveen condemns violence at Congress rally
Bhubaneswar: Condemning violence at a Congress rally here, Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik today said people of Odisha were shocked over the incident in which a woman police sustained injury after being assaulted and allegedly molested by the mob.
"People are shocked over the incident that took place in Bhubaneswar yesterday. Odisha is known for its peaceful atmosphere," Patnaik said.
Stating that violence of such nature should be condemned, Patnaik said "the Congress has the habit of making false allegation against the BJD government ever since the regional party came to power in 2000."
At least 262 persons, including 60 security personnel, were injured in a clash between police and Congress workers during the rally addressed by party`s senior leaders, including AICC in-charge of Odisha, Jagdish Tytler, yesterday.
A woman police constable who was deployed at the rally venue was dragged and pushed down by the mob where she was allegedly molested.
The ruling BJD`s women`s wing president and MLA, Pramilla Mallick said, "The lady constable was also molested by the mob of Congress men. We demand stringent action against the culprits."
Mallick visited the private hospital and talked to the victim who was in a state of shock following the incident.
Taking suo motu cognizance of the incident, the Chairperson of the State Women`s Commission (SCW) Jyoti Panigrahi also met the lady constable at the hospital.
"We have started investigation into the matter. The manner in which a woman police person was heckled and assaulted needs to be condemned," Panigrahi said, adding that she would submit a report on the incident.
Meanwhile, the family members of the lady constable, said they would lodge a formal complaint with the police and demanded action against the culprits.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview