Naveen condemns violence at Congress rally
Bhubaneswar: Condemning violence at a Congress rally here, Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik today said people of Odisha were shocked over the incident in which a woman police sustained injury after being assaulted and allegedly molested by the mob.
"People are shocked over the incident that took place in Bhubaneswar yesterday. Odisha is known for its peaceful atmosphere," Patnaik said.
Stating that violence of such nature should be condemned, Patnaik said "the Congress has the habit of making false allegation against the BJD government ever since the regional party came to power in 2000."
At least 262 persons, including 60 security personnel, were injured in a clash between police and Congress workers during the rally addressed by party`s senior leaders, including AICC in-charge of Odisha, Jagdish Tytler, yesterday.
A woman police constable who was deployed at the rally venue was dragged and pushed down by the mob where she was allegedly molested.
The ruling BJD`s women`s wing president and MLA, Pramilla Mallick said, "The lady constable was also molested by the mob of Congress men. We demand stringent action against the culprits."
Mallick visited the private hospital and talked to the victim who was in a state of shock following the incident.
Taking suo motu cognizance of the incident, the Chairperson of the State Women`s Commission (SCW) Jyoti Panigrahi also met the lady constable at the hospital.
"We have started investigation into the matter. The manner in which a woman police person was heckled and assaulted needs to be condemned," Panigrahi said, adding that she would submit a report on the incident.
Meanwhile, the family members of the lady constable, said they would lodge a formal complaint with the police and demanded action against the culprits.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!