Naveen condoles rape/murder of minor girl, Rs 10 L ex-gratia
Bhubaneswar: Expressing heartfelt condolences on behalf on the Odisha Assembly, Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik today announced Rs 10 lakh ex-gratia to the family of the eight-year-old rape and murder victim in the state capital.
"I am deeply saddened by this shocking incident and on behalf of this August House, I once again express my heartfelt condolences to the bereaved family," Patnaik said in a statement in the Assembly in response to the opposition Congress and BJP`s demand for an apology by the CM.
Terming the rape and murder of minor girl in the city slum as "very unfortunate", Patnaik said accused Kiran Kumar Sahu has been apprehended and investigation is continuing. "I will request the judiciary to take up the case on a fast track mode and complete the trial early," Patnaik said.
Patnaik, who also holds home portfolio, said the instant should be charge sheeted without delay. On earlier occasions, similar cases in Mayurbhanj, Bargarh and Sambalpur districts, charge sheets were filed quickly and trial completed in fast track basis.
The Chief Minister said a case has been registered against the accused under section 363 (kidnapping), 376 (rape) and 302 (murder). He claimed the state government had been sincere in taking several steps to curb crimes against women.
Earlier on the day, opposition Congress and BJP had created pandemonium in the Assembly and the house was adjourned twice over the issue. The opposition parties demanded apology and a statement from the chief minister.
Accusing the state government of failing to control rise in crime against women, opposition BJP members sat on a dharna in well of the house while Congress MLAs attempted to disrupt proceeding the house by staging agitation in well.
Meanwhile, the rape and murder of the girl triggered angry protests in the state capital with hundreds of people blocking roads and staging demonstrations here, police said.
Activists of CPI-M blocked a busy city road for hours by burning tyres and demanded compensation for the victim`s kin and strong action against the offender.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam - Part II
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam -Part III
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam - Part IV
- DNA : Why BJP is linking Rahul Gandhi to AgustaWestland scam
- Sleeping trouble? Now, sleep like a baby with Banana tea!
- Pakistan is raising a security force to protect Chinese nationals
- Govt targets Rs 64,580 cr revenue in FY17 from spectrum sale
- Seven Indian shuttlers set to qualify for Rio Olympics
- Sanjay Dutt rejects speculation on joining BJP, says 'attended the event for my friend'