Naveen condoles rape/murder of minor girl, Rs 10 L ex-gratia
Bhubaneswar: Expressing heartfelt condolences on behalf on the Odisha Assembly, Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik today announced Rs 10 lakh ex-gratia to the family of the eight-year-old rape and murder victim in the state capital.
"I am deeply saddened by this shocking incident and on behalf of this August House, I once again express my heartfelt condolences to the bereaved family," Patnaik said in a statement in the Assembly in response to the opposition Congress and BJP`s demand for an apology by the CM.
Terming the rape and murder of minor girl in the city slum as "very unfortunate", Patnaik said accused Kiran Kumar Sahu has been apprehended and investigation is continuing. "I will request the judiciary to take up the case on a fast track mode and complete the trial early," Patnaik said.
Patnaik, who also holds home portfolio, said the instant should be charge sheeted without delay. On earlier occasions, similar cases in Mayurbhanj, Bargarh and Sambalpur districts, charge sheets were filed quickly and trial completed in fast track basis.
The Chief Minister said a case has been registered against the accused under section 363 (kidnapping), 376 (rape) and 302 (murder). He claimed the state government had been sincere in taking several steps to curb crimes against women.
Earlier on the day, opposition Congress and BJP had created pandemonium in the Assembly and the house was adjourned twice over the issue. The opposition parties demanded apology and a statement from the chief minister.
Accusing the state government of failing to control rise in crime against women, opposition BJP members sat on a dharna in well of the house while Congress MLAs attempted to disrupt proceeding the house by staging agitation in well.
Meanwhile, the rape and murder of the girl triggered angry protests in the state capital with hundreds of people blocking roads and staging demonstrations here, police said.
Activists of CPI-M blocked a busy city road for hours by burning tyres and demanded compensation for the victim`s kin and strong action against the offender.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- WOAH! Cristiano Ronaldo opens own 'CR7' hotel, gives name to airport
- Usain Bolt eases to victory, Kendra Harrison hurdles to glory
- Oil dives 2%, heads for weekly loss as US rigs rise
- German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at Munich shopping mall; police say he acted alone
- Body unnoticed in Australian fast-food outlet for days