Naveen defends POSCO, slams Cong
Bhubaneswar: In the backdrop of renewed
agitation against POSCO over lapsed MOU and land acquisition,
Orissa Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on Friday said the pact was
not mandatory for setting up any industry and questioned
Congress` stand on the Rs 52,000 crore project.
"MoU is not compulsory for taking up construction in
connection with establishment of an industry," Patnaik said in
the state assembly.
Stating that MoU was merely a facilitating instrument,
he said there had been no illegality by taking up activities
for setting up Posco`s 12mtpa mega steel plant.
Establishment of industries and construction activities
have been taken in the state by many industrial units without
signing MoU, he claimed. "Hence, construction at Posco site
need not wait for a fresh MoU," Patnaik said.
On the opposition to POSCO prorject by Congress,
Patnaik said "the stand taken by Congress leaders in Orissa
over Posco project puzzles me. POSCO project was initiated by
the central government headed by Congress."
Terming the project as the country`s largest Foreign
Direct Investment, he said it was being reviewed by Prime
Minister Manmohan Singh on a regular basis.
Leader of the Opposition Bhupinder Singh, however,
claimed outside the assembly that Congress was not against
POSCO project. "We oppose the manner in which the state
government is handling issues relating to the project."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks