Naveen held one press conference in 11 years: TII
Bhubaneswar: Orissa`s three-time chief
minister Naveen Patnaik has addressed only one press
conference during his 11-year-old tenure in the state,
Transparency International India (TII) claimed on Friday.
"Chief Minister has addressed one formal press
conference on 6/3/2000 at 3rd Floor Conference Hall in the
State Secretariat Building, Bhubaneswar, which was attended by
about 120 media persons. No press release was circulated," TII
Board Member Biswajit Mohanty said quoting the information
obtained through RTI.
The RTI information, however said, "Chief Minister
makes informal briefings to the press (both print &
electronic) on current issues and developments."
Requesting Patnaik to hold regular press conferences
in order to bring transparency in the administration, Mohanty
in a letter to the chief minister, said that accountability of
the government at the highest level could be upheld only
through regular media briefing.
This apart, Mohanty said that holding regular press
conferences would give the chief minister a good opportunity
to showcase achievements of the government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Democrats speaking about world that does not exist: Trump
- Stan Wawrinka advances to Toronto quarter-finals
- Islamic State releases new video of France church attacker
- Indonesia executes foreign convicts despite protests; Indian national spared
- Public sector bank employees on strike today; operations hit