Naveen hints at Odisha ministry expansion
Bhubaneswar: With five of the 21 ministerial berths vacant in Odisha following dismissal of three rebels after a failed coup bid and two resigning earlier, Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on Friday hinted at a cabinet expansion.
"Ministry reshuffle is likely soon ... Sooner or later. It will be done at the right time. You will be the first to know about it," the chief minister told reporters when asked about the possibility of a cabinet expansion.
Three ministers, Anjali Behera holding women and child development portfolio, Sanjeev Sahu with commerce and transport and Sarada Prasad Nayak with urban and housing, were dismissed recently.
Earlier in February, then agriculture minister Pradeep Maharathy resigned over the Pipili rape case and excise minister A U Sighdeo after the hooch tragedy which left 38 people dead.
Party sources said that three ministers, who were close to Rajya Sabha MP Pyari Mohan Mohapatra, suspended from the BJD on the charge of attempting to topple the Naveen Patnaik government, were likely to be axed in the reshuffle.
Of the 108 BJD MLAs, including 4 from NCP who joined recently, only 16 have been ministers.
Senior leaders in the race for a ministerial berth were former ministers A U Singhdeo, Damodar Rout, Bijayshree Routray, Debashish Nayak, Rabi Narayan Nanda, Kalandi Behera, Bed Prakash Agarwal, Bishnu Das, Padmanabha Behera and Pramila Mallick.
Dharmasala MLA Kalpataru Das and Banki MLA Pravat Tripathy were also among the hopefuls.
Juniors such as Arun Sahu, Sanjay Dasburma, Debashis Samantray, Ashok Panda and Sipra Mallick were also in the race.
Both senior and junior MLAs were lobbying hard by openly attacking Pyari Mohan Mohapatra, while aspirants were thronging the state secretariat and Naveen Niwas, the residence of the chief minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah