Naveen launches community police service in Odisha
Cuttack: Community police service in Odisha was launched on Monday by Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik with an aim to ensure justice to women, children and the marginalised groups in the state.
"I hope the community police service will bridge the gap between the police and public," Patnaik said after launching the new service at the Markat Nagar Police Station here.
Patnaik said one police station in each district would now provide community policing, named `Ama police`, which might be extended to all the police stations across the state.
The Chief Minister directed the police to ensure that chargesheets were filed immediately. "The police have to work hard to win the confidence of the public," he said.
A readily available police officer of the rank of ASI, havildar or constable would act as a beat police officer and contact each family in the beat area and be accessible for redressal of problems.
He said the state government has started work on modernisation of the police and infrastructure for better policing.
Director General of Police Prakash Mishra said the police has achieved remarkable success in tackling Maoists in recent years.
"Some of the Maoist-hit districts have not reported any violence in 2012," the DGP said.
Besides facing Maoist challenges, the police also looks after the safety of the people, he said.
April 1st, 1936 would always remain etched in golden letters in the history of Odisha, as on this date both the state and the Odisha Police were born, the DGP added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read