Naveen Patnaik expels Mohapatra from BJD
Bhubaneswar: Less than six months after suspending him from the party, Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on Friday expelled Rajya Sabha member Pyari Mohan Mohapatra from the ruling Biju Janata Dal (BJD) for anti-party activities.
Patnaik also expelled party general secretary Jagneswar Babu on similar charges after holding a meeting of the party executive committee here.
"Pyarimohan Mohapatra and Jagneswar Babu are expelled, removed from the BJD," Patnaik told reporters here after the meeting.
Mohapatra was Patnaik`s non-official advisor for over a decade. He was suspended from the party after he allegedly plotted an unsuccessful coup to unseat the chief minister May 29.
Challenging Patnaik`s leadership, Mohapatra subsequently launched Odisha Jana Morcha (OJM), a political forum, saying that he wants to "establish internal democracy" in the state`s ruling party.
Reacting to the announcement made by the chief minister, OJM leader Mihir Mohanty said Patnaik ceases to be the president of the BJD as per the constitution of the party. Since there has been no executive committee party meeting since 2010, the meeting which was held Friday was illegal, he maintained.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Trinamool Congress activist was part of Pak ISI spy ring?
- Bigg Boss: When Kriti Sanon played Aishwarya Rai’s part to romance Salman Khan
- Media house attacked over derogatory cartoon in Maharashtra