Naveen Patnaik rules out joining NDA, demands special status for Odisha
Zee Media Bureau/Ritesh K Srivastava
New Delhi: Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik, who met Prime Minister Narendra Modi seeking special category status for his state, on Monday ruled out joining the BJP-led National Democratic Alliance (NDA).
Speaking to reporters after his meeting with the Prime Minister, BJD chief said, “We just met the PM, brought out a number of demands for Odisha, especially special status and mineral royalty. The PM was quite positive to our demands. We didn’t discuss joining NDA.”
Patnaik was accompanied by all 24 MPs belonging to his party when he met Modi for the first time today after the regime change at the Centre.
Ahead of his meeting, the Odisha CM had told reporters that he has no intention to join the BJP-led NDA government headed by Narendra Modi.
“There is no thought of BJD joining NDA,” Patnaik said.
“Yes, I will be discussing demand for special category status for Odisha and issues like mineral royalty,” said the Odisha Chief Minister.
“Will be positive towards Central Govt, hope they will respond to the just demands of Odisha,” the BJD chief said.
The BJD won 20 of the 21 seats from Odisha in the Lok Sabha polls. It has another four members in the Rajya Sabha.
Modi, 63, was sworn in as the country`s 15th Prime Minister on May 26, and has, since then, been meeting chief ministers, governors and other functionaries. Tamil Nadu chief minister J Jayalalithaa will be meeting him tomorrow.
Patnaik, who was last month sworn in as the chief minister of Odisha for the fourth consecutive term, has been exerting pressure on the Centre to accede to his demand for including Odisha in the category of special category states. In 2011, he had written a letter to the then Prime Minister, Manmohan Singh, to press for the acceptance of his demand.
At present, there are 11 states that enjoy the special status. They include Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Himachal Pradesh, Jammu and Kashmir, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, Sikkim, Tripura and Uttarakhand.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune