Naveen Patnaik rules out joining NDA, demands special status for Odisha
Zee Media Bureau/Ritesh K Srivastava
New Delhi: Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik, who met Prime Minister Narendra Modi seeking special category status for his state, on Monday ruled out joining the BJP-led National Democratic Alliance (NDA).
Speaking to reporters after his meeting with the Prime Minister, BJD chief said, “We just met the PM, brought out a number of demands for Odisha, especially special status and mineral royalty. The PM was quite positive to our demands. We didn’t discuss joining NDA.”
Patnaik was accompanied by all 24 MPs belonging to his party when he met Modi for the first time today after the regime change at the Centre.
Ahead of his meeting, the Odisha CM had told reporters that he has no intention to join the BJP-led NDA government headed by Narendra Modi.
“There is no thought of BJD joining NDA,” Patnaik said.
“Yes, I will be discussing demand for special category status for Odisha and issues like mineral royalty,” said the Odisha Chief Minister.
“Will be positive towards Central Govt, hope they will respond to the just demands of Odisha,” the BJD chief said.
The BJD won 20 of the 21 seats from Odisha in the Lok Sabha polls. It has another four members in the Rajya Sabha.
Modi, 63, was sworn in as the country`s 15th Prime Minister on May 26, and has, since then, been meeting chief ministers, governors and other functionaries. Tamil Nadu chief minister J Jayalalithaa will be meeting him tomorrow.
Patnaik, who was last month sworn in as the chief minister of Odisha for the fourth consecutive term, has been exerting pressure on the Centre to accede to his demand for including Odisha in the category of special category states. In 2011, he had written a letter to the then Prime Minister, Manmohan Singh, to press for the acceptance of his demand.
At present, there are 11 states that enjoy the special status. They include Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Himachal Pradesh, Jammu and Kashmir, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, Sikkim, Tripura and Uttarakhand.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery