Naveen returns without having `darshan` of deities
Puri: In a departure from his practice of
going to the sanctom sanctorum of Shri Jagannath temple to
seek blessings of the presiding deities on the New Year`s day,
Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik today returned without
having `darshan` soon after entering the shrine premises.
Clad in his regular spotless white kurta and pyajama,
Patnaik entered the 12th century shrine through the
`Singhadwar` (Lion`s Gate) and started climbing the famous
`Baisi Pahacha` (22 steps) of the temple.
While climbing the steps, Patnaik did not allow
ministers and supporters in close proximity and was heard
saying "...Where is the SP (Superintendent of Police)? Who is
SP here?", sources in the temple administration said.
The SP A N Sinha immediately appeared before Patnaik
and vacated the area, sources said adding the local MLA and
Panchyatiraj minister Maheswar Mohanty was seen at a distance
as also other leaders and supporters.
Patnaik stopped at the seventh step and prayed with
folded hands there. Then he went out of the temple complex and
proceeded towards `Swargadwar`, the cremation ground on the
sea beach, to pay homage to his father and former Chief
Minister Biju Patnaik at his statue `Biju Samadhi Pitha`.
Asked why the chief minister did not go into the
sanctom sanctorum, sevayats (servitors) and security personnel
claimed ignorance and said: "Naveen Babu was moving without
the stick he had been holding ever since leg injury he
sustained about two months ago. He might have faced problems
in climbing the stairs without stick".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city