Naveen says Union Budget not to ensure food security
Bhubaneswar: Terming the Union Budget 2013-14 as "totally disappointing", Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on Thursday alleged there is no significant policy intervention to revive growth in the economy, tackle inflation and ensure food security for the poor.
"It has bypassed the developmental needs of the people of Odisha. The budget contains no significant allocation for the development of the farm sector," Patnaik said in his reaction over the budget.
Stating that the budget does not have any special measure to contain inflation which is seriously hurting the Aam Admi, Patnaik said it was "unfortunate that allocation for Accelerated Irrigation Benefit Programme (AIBP) has been drastically curtailed in the revised estimates of the current financial year and in the budget estimates for 2013-14".
"The budgetary allocation for implementation of the Food Security Bill is grossly inadequate," Patnaik said adding that it will only remain as an expression of intent without any commitment.
The budgetary allocation for Central Assistance to State Plan has been drastically reduced in the revised estimates and only marginally increased in the budget estimates for 2013-14, he pointed out.
Expressing concern over centre`s attitude towards states, Patnaik said, "unfortunately full provision has not been made for CST compensation to States".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees