Naveen says Union Budget not to ensure food security
Bhubaneswar: Terming the Union Budget 2013-14 as "totally disappointing", Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on Thursday alleged there is no significant policy intervention to revive growth in the economy, tackle inflation and ensure food security for the poor.
"It has bypassed the developmental needs of the people of Odisha. The budget contains no significant allocation for the development of the farm sector," Patnaik said in his reaction over the budget.
Stating that the budget does not have any special measure to contain inflation which is seriously hurting the Aam Admi, Patnaik said it was "unfortunate that allocation for Accelerated Irrigation Benefit Programme (AIBP) has been drastically curtailed in the revised estimates of the current financial year and in the budget estimates for 2013-14".
"The budgetary allocation for implementation of the Food Security Bill is grossly inadequate," Patnaik said adding that it will only remain as an expression of intent without any commitment.
The budgetary allocation for Central Assistance to State Plan has been drastically reduced in the revised estimates and only marginally increased in the budget estimates for 2013-14, he pointed out.
Expressing concern over centre`s attitude towards states, Patnaik said, "unfortunately full provision has not been made for CST compensation to States".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- After Jayalalithaa, Sasikala Natarajan holds all cards – Know more about her