Naveen seeks Presidential assent for anti-chit fund Bill
Bhubaneswar: With Opposition Congress and BJP announcing plans to make chit fund fraud a poll issue, Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on Monday wrote to the Union Home Minister seeking his intervention for an early Presidential assent to a Bill protecting depositors` interests.
"In view of the urgency, I am drawing your personal attention for expediting Presidential assent to the Odisha Protection of Interest of Depositors (in financial establishment) Bill, 2011," Patnaik said in the letter to Union Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde.
Odisha Assembly had passed the Odisha Protection of Interests of Depositors (in financial establishments), on December 17, 2011 and it was sent to the Ministry of Home Affairs by the Governor`s secretariat on April 3, 2012.
After examination and inter-ministerial consultation, the MHA sought some clarifications from the state government on the Bill on December 27, 2012, which the government sent to the MHA on April 2, 2013.
The Bill, however, is yet to get Presidential assent, the Chief Minister said. The Bill contained extensive safeguards for protecting small investors from fraudulent financial entities, he said.
Stating that unscrupulous financial entities were duping small investors in the state, Patnaik said, these fly-by-night operators took advantage of the prevailing regulatory weaknesses and gaps.
They lured unsuspecting investors by promising extraordinarily high returns and then closed shop after a period of time, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested