Naveen spent 35 nights in red zones, 99 ultras killed in 6 yrs
Bhubaneswar: Rejecting criticism from opposition parties, Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on Moday claimed to have spent 35 nights in Left-wing extremism hit areas during the last 12 years.
In a written reply in the Assembly, he also said 99 ultras had been killed in a duration of six-and-half years.
"The chief minister has spent 35 nights in Naxal-hit areas which helped to boost confidence of government servants and public in those places," Patnaik said.
The CM, who was often criticised by opposition Congress and BJP for failing to contain the Maoist menace, said 99 ultras were killed in operations by security personnel, while 959 rebels had been arrested till August this year from 2006.
Apart from this, 134 Maoists have surrendered before the police, he said.
On the allegation of failing to control Maoist violence, Patnaik claimed that LWE activities had considerably reduced in nine of the 19 Maoist-hit districts.
The districts were -- Rayagada, Gajapati, Ganjam, Nayagarh, Jajpur, Keonjhar, Mayurbhanj, Sambalpur and Deogarh.
However, Patnaik said Maoist activities in certain areas of Malkangiri and Koraput districts in the Odisha-Andhra Pradesh borders and some places in Bolangir, Bargarh and Nuapada districts in Odisha-Chhattishgarh borders, remained high.
"We have been analysing reasons behind regular naxal activities in those areas. Underdevelopment, inadequate security infrastructure and inaccessibility of the areas help the Maoists to spread their activities in those places," Patnaik said.
Besides the state`s elite anti-Maoist Special Operation Group, jawans of BSF and CRPF have been deployed in LWE hit areas of the state, Patnaik said, adding, steps were being taken to contain them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP's tally rises to 82 after Atul Shah wins in lottery, Shiv Sena bags 84; CM Fadnavis hails PM Modi's clean governance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results LIVE: BJP registers emphatic win; PM Narendra Modi says it's a great start to 2017
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Shiv Sena set for clear majority, leading in 51 seats, BJP in 17