Naveen spent 35 nights in red zones, 99 ultras killed in 6 yrs
Bhubaneswar: Rejecting criticism from opposition parties, Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on Moday claimed to have spent 35 nights in Left-wing extremism hit areas during the last 12 years.
In a written reply in the Assembly, he also said 99 ultras had been killed in a duration of six-and-half years.
"The chief minister has spent 35 nights in Naxal-hit areas which helped to boost confidence of government servants and public in those places," Patnaik said.
The CM, who was often criticised by opposition Congress and BJP for failing to contain the Maoist menace, said 99 ultras were killed in operations by security personnel, while 959 rebels had been arrested till August this year from 2006.
Apart from this, 134 Maoists have surrendered before the police, he said.
On the allegation of failing to control Maoist violence, Patnaik claimed that LWE activities had considerably reduced in nine of the 19 Maoist-hit districts.
The districts were -- Rayagada, Gajapati, Ganjam, Nayagarh, Jajpur, Keonjhar, Mayurbhanj, Sambalpur and Deogarh.
However, Patnaik said Maoist activities in certain areas of Malkangiri and Koraput districts in the Odisha-Andhra Pradesh borders and some places in Bolangir, Bargarh and Nuapada districts in Odisha-Chhattishgarh borders, remained high.
"We have been analysing reasons behind regular naxal activities in those areas. Underdevelopment, inadequate security infrastructure and inaccessibility of the areas help the Maoists to spread their activities in those places," Patnaik said.
Besides the state`s elite anti-Maoist Special Operation Group, jawans of BSF and CRPF have been deployed in LWE hit areas of the state, Patnaik said, adding, steps were being taken to contain them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'