Naveen steps Sangma’s candidature for presidency
Bhubaneswar: Odisha Chief Minister and BJD president Naveen Patnaik on Monday stepped up the campaign for former Lok Sabha Speaker P A Sangma`s candidature for Presidency describing him as a distinguished tribal leader.
"He is a tribal leader, a distinguished tribal leader and as I suggested it and my party supports it that a tribal leader for the first time in the history of our Republic be the seniormost person of India ... that a tribal leader become Rashtrapati", Patnaik said replying a question on the prospects of Sangma becoming President.
Stating that a quarter of Odisha?s population was tribal and their population huge in the country, Patnaik said his party had first named Sangma for the post which within some hours also got support of Tamil Nadu Chief Minister and AIADMK supremo J Jayalalithaa.
"Since then as you can see the hon?ble Chief Minister of Tamilnadu, Jayalalithaaji has been speaking to several senior leaders of political parties," Patnaik said.
He said his late father Biju Patnaik, who was Lok Sabha MP in 1997, had close attachment with Sangma who was the Speaker at that time.
Sangma`s daughter Agatha, who is an union minister had visited Bhubaneswar and held discussions with Patnaik.
"The Chief Minister is likely to meet Sangma in Delhi," sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- DNA: Analysis of first SECC survey in eight decades
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?