Naveen takes message of peace to Maoist heartland
Malkangiri: Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on Wednesday ventured into the Maoist heartland making an impassioned appeal for peace and urging the rebels to eschew violence and join the national mainstream.
Addressing a public meeting at Chitraconda in Malkangiri district amdist unprecedented security, Patnaik called upon the Maoists "to join mainstream and quit violence."
Stating that violence did not help solve any problem, Patnaik said, "rather violence generates more problems for society and its people."
He reminded the rebels that violence was an impediment to development. "Violence is the main enemy of the development of the state and region," the chief minister said adding that violence has no place in democracy.
While Patnaik was speaking a large number of anti-maoist forces fanned out to different senstive parts of the districts. The border with Chhattisgharh and Andhra Pradesh was also sealed.
Chitraconda is the place from where left wing extremists (LWE) run a parallel administration.
The Chief Minister also announced the state government`s decision of according Municipality status to Malkangiri notified area council (NAC), a long standing demand of the local people.
Patnaik inaugurated two girls hostels and distributed work order of Indira Awas Yojana houses among the tribals, agricultural equipment to self help groups and cash to beneficiaries of the family welfare schemes.
The Chief Minister inaugurated the operation of ambulance service in the tribal dominated district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- IIT Kharagpur students design racing car to compete in Russia
- IRCTC to offer Rs 10 lakh insurance cover for Re 1
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security?
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part II
- Chinese troops camp in Uttarakhand's Chamoli, PLA helicopter violates Indian airspace
- Assam flood toll 12, CM makes statement in House
- WATCH: PURE CLASS! Umar Akmal hits three consecutive sixes in game-changing knock
- Hilarious: Chinese girl slips and pulls down man's shorts in bus, this video will leave you in splits
- Modi government to organise 'Bharat Parv' to mark Independence Day