Naveen takes message of peace to Maoist heartland
Malkangiri: Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on Wednesday ventured into the Maoist heartland making an impassioned appeal for peace and urging the rebels to eschew violence and join the national mainstream.
Addressing a public meeting at Chitraconda in Malkangiri district amdist unprecedented security, Patnaik called upon the Maoists "to join mainstream and quit violence."
Stating that violence did not help solve any problem, Patnaik said, "rather violence generates more problems for society and its people."
He reminded the rebels that violence was an impediment to development. "Violence is the main enemy of the development of the state and region," the chief minister said adding that violence has no place in democracy.
While Patnaik was speaking a large number of anti-maoist forces fanned out to different senstive parts of the districts. The border with Chhattisgharh and Andhra Pradesh was also sealed.
Chitraconda is the place from where left wing extremists (LWE) run a parallel administration.
The Chief Minister also announced the state government`s decision of according Municipality status to Malkangiri notified area council (NAC), a long standing demand of the local people.
Patnaik inaugurated two girls hostels and distributed work order of Indira Awas Yojana houses among the tribals, agricultural equipment to self help groups and cash to beneficiaries of the family welfare schemes.
The Chief Minister inaugurated the operation of ambulance service in the tribal dominated district.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed