Naveen welcomes BJP`s decision to support Sangma
Puri: Welcoming BJP`s decision to support PA Sangma in the Presidential poll, BJD supremo Naveen Patnaik on Thursday said all political parties should support the former Lok Sabha Speaker.
"I welcome the BJP`s decision of supporting Sangma. All political parties should support Sangma who is a tribal," Patnaik, the Odisha Chief Minister, told reporters on the sideline of the annual car festival of Lord Jagannath.
Sangma is a distinguished tribal leader who hails from the Northeast and belongs to the minority community, he noted.
Patnaik was the first to propose Sangma`s name on May 17 for the presidential polls with Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa`s AIADMK also supporting him.
BJD`s senior vice-president Damodar Rout said "While people from different communities have occupied the President`s chair, only the tribal community has been left out. Therefore, all should ensure that Sangma wins the polls."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part III
- PM Modi should also be suspended from House for 'inviting ISI to Pathankot', says AAP MP Bhagwant Mann
- MASSIVE! Italian giants Juventus complete USD 104 million transfer of Gonzalo Higuain from Napoli
- Odisha govt has "nexus" with Maoists: BJP probe team
- Political blame-game begins as auto, taxi unions go on indefinite strike against app-based taxi services
- NGT seeks details of Rs 20,000 crore expenditure on cleaning Ganga