Naveen welcomes BJP`s decision to support Sangma
Puri: Welcoming BJP`s decision to support PA Sangma in the Presidential poll, BJD supremo Naveen Patnaik on Thursday said all political parties should support the former Lok Sabha Speaker.
"I welcome the BJP`s decision of supporting Sangma. All political parties should support Sangma who is a tribal," Patnaik, the Odisha Chief Minister, told reporters on the sideline of the annual car festival of Lord Jagannath.
Sangma is a distinguished tribal leader who hails from the Northeast and belongs to the minority community, he noted.
Patnaik was the first to propose Sangma`s name on May 17 for the presidential polls with Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa`s AIADMK also supporting him.
BJD`s senior vice-president Damodar Rout said "While people from different communities have occupied the President`s chair, only the tribal community has been left out. Therefore, all should ensure that Sangma wins the polls."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Delhi court restrains release of controversial movie 'Mohalla Assi'