NBFC official arrested for cheating depositors in Odisha
Berhampur: The managing director of a non-banking financial company (NBFC) has been arrested on charges of cheating depositors in Khallikote area of Odisha`s Ganjam district, police said on Wednesday.
"Women agents of Ganjam-based Abhash India had lodged a complaint against its MD, Niranjan Polai, following which he was arrested yesterday," said Inspector In-Charge of Khallikote police station, Sisir Mishra.
Women agents had made a plan to get Polai arrested as he was on the run following police raids on chit fund companies across the state, police said.
Around 30 of them had sought an appointment with Polai to hand over the deposits and as soon as he reached the office, they gheraoed him and informed police, they said.
The NBFC had allegedly collected lakhs of rupees from rural investors promising them high returns. The amount collected by the firm, mode of collection and period of functioning at Khallikote are being investigated, the IIC added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part II
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part III
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part IV
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Scientists reconstruct detailed 3D eyes from single photo
- Santander pips BBVA: Eurozone`s largest bank becomes La Liga's newest sponsors
- US sanctions target Assad regime's arms, finance networks
- Bastille Day killer had help preparing Nice attack, says Paris prosecutor
- Another milestone for captain marvellous: Virat Kohli completes 3000 Test runs