NBFC official arrested for cheating depositors in Odisha
Berhampur: The managing director of a non-banking financial company (NBFC) has been arrested on charges of cheating depositors in Khallikote area of Odisha`s Ganjam district, police said on Wednesday.
"Women agents of Ganjam-based Abhash India had lodged a complaint against its MD, Niranjan Polai, following which he was arrested yesterday," said Inspector In-Charge of Khallikote police station, Sisir Mishra.
Women agents had made a plan to get Polai arrested as he was on the run following police raids on chit fund companies across the state, police said.
Around 30 of them had sought an appointment with Polai to hand over the deposits and as soon as he reached the office, they gheraoed him and informed police, they said.
The NBFC had allegedly collected lakhs of rupees from rural investors promising them high returns. The amount collected by the firm, mode of collection and period of functioning at Khallikote are being investigated, the IIC added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India