NCM reviews measures taken by govt in wake of Kandhamal riots
Phulbani: Measures taken by Odisha Government for rehabilitation and welfare of victims of 2007 and 2008 riots in Kandhamal were studied by a team of National Commission for Minorities (NCM) which visited the communally sensitive district on Thrusday.
The five-member team led by NCM Chairman Wajahat Habibullah met representatives of the minority community, Church leaders and several outfits and held discussions with them on the prevailing situation in the tribal-dominated district, sources said.
The team members held discussions with the district collector and superintendent of police on various issues.
The NCM team was told that normalcy has been restored in the district but a lot more needs to be done by the state government to further boost confidence of the people and remove apprehensions from their mind, they said.
The commission was told that the state government should ensure all riot affected families are adequately compensated, sources said.
The Commission also visited Nandagiri, a rehabilitation colony of riot victims near G Udayagiri and interacted with people.
The team went to Ganjuguda village and visited some reconstructed houses belonging to BPL families and Churches.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How will Sonowal's govt solve problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam?
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam - Part II
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part III
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part IV
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- US-backed Syria rebels unleash offensive against IS capital
- New `Phobia` poster will blow your mind!
- Watch: Disney's 'Beauty and the Beast' teaser trailer will leave you wanting more
- It's out! Kangana, Shahid and Saif Ali Khan's 'Rangoon' release date set!
- Indian Premier League 9, Qualifier 1: Royal Challengers Bangalore vs Gujarat Lions - As it happened...