NCM reviews measures taken by govt in wake of Kandhamal riots
Phulbani: Measures taken by Odisha Government for rehabilitation and welfare of victims of 2007 and 2008 riots in Kandhamal were studied by a team of National Commission for Minorities (NCM) which visited the communally sensitive district on Thrusday.
The five-member team led by NCM Chairman Wajahat Habibullah met representatives of the minority community, Church leaders and several outfits and held discussions with them on the prevailing situation in the tribal-dominated district, sources said.
The team members held discussions with the district collector and superintendent of police on various issues.
The NCM team was told that normalcy has been restored in the district but a lot more needs to be done by the state government to further boost confidence of the people and remove apprehensions from their mind, they said.
The commission was told that the state government should ensure all riot affected families are adequately compensated, sources said.
The Commission also visited Nandagiri, a rehabilitation colony of riot victims near G Udayagiri and interacted with people.
The team went to Ganjuguda village and visited some reconstructed houses belonging to BPL families and Churches.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Jaya and Amitabh Bachchan living separately: Amar Singh makes shocking revelations