NCM reviews measures taken by govt in wake of Kandhamal riots
Phulbani: Measures taken by Odisha Government for rehabilitation and welfare of victims of 2007 and 2008 riots in Kandhamal were studied by a team of National Commission for Minorities (NCM) which visited the communally sensitive district on Thrusday.
The five-member team led by NCM Chairman Wajahat Habibullah met representatives of the minority community, Church leaders and several outfits and held discussions with them on the prevailing situation in the tribal-dominated district, sources said.
The team members held discussions with the district collector and superintendent of police on various issues.
The NCM team was told that normalcy has been restored in the district but a lot more needs to be done by the state government to further boost confidence of the people and remove apprehensions from their mind, they said.
The commission was told that the state government should ensure all riot affected families are adequately compensated, sources said.
The Commission also visited Nandagiri, a rehabilitation colony of riot victims near G Udayagiri and interacted with people.
The team went to Ganjuguda village and visited some reconstructed houses belonging to BPL families and Churches.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees