NCSC blames Odisha govt for palm-chopping of 2 labourers
Bhawanipatna (Odisha): Coming down heavily on the Odisha government over the recent palm-chopping of two labourers in Kalahandi district, the National Commission for Scheduled Caste (NCSC) on Tuesday said the unfortunate incident was an outcome of the state`s failure to implement the MGNREGA Act.
"The state government, the district administration and the police have utterly failed to handle the palm chopping case," NCSC chairman P L Punia told reporters after visiting the two dalit victims.
There was delay in investigation causing this mishap, he alleged, adding that the NCSC would conduct hearing on the matter to give justice to the victims. He said the state government has so far given Rs 2 lakhs each to the victims.
Alleging that the state government failed to properly implement the MGNREGA meant to provide jobs to people in their locality, Punia said the people in this area were forced to migrate in search of work to other states.
"If work is available in their door step then the people will not migrate and face exploitation," Punia said, adding, that the state government should work with dedication for proper implementation of NREGA and to safeguard the interest of dalits.
Stating that it is the responsibility of state government to properly implement the MGNREGA Act and provide livelihood support to the people, Punia said the labourers interest should be protected in a welfare state.
In another incident on December 31 where four dalit youths were arrested under different sections of 147, 148, 121(a), 120(b), 506, 353 IPC and section 7 of crpc for allegedly demonstrating and showing black flag during the visit of Chief Minister, Punia said, "It is an unfortunate incident in democracy. Sedition charge for demonstration is against the spirit of the democracy."
The NCSC will certainly look into this matter, Punia said.
Later he addressed a meeting of dalits at Balipada village and laid foundation of Ambedkar Bhawan there.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi