NCSC not impressed with Pipili rape case probe
Cuttack: National Commission for Schedule Caste (NCSC) Director Diwakar Basak appeared unconvinced with the progress made in the police investigation into the alleged rape case of a Dalit girl of Pipili in Odisha`s Puri district.
The 19-year-old girl, who is admitted at SCB Medical College and Hospital here, is in lying in a coma.
After visiting the hospital twice in last fortnight, Basak said he is satisfied with the treatment given to the girl but was not convinced by the police inquiry into the
criminal aspect of the case.
"I am not convinced with the police investigation in the case...The state government needs to do a lot in this particular aspect," he told reporters here yesterday.
He said the girl was now getting better treatment in the Cuttack hospital where experts from AIIMS, New Delhi and other neurologists and music therapists were attending to her.
"Her recovery from comatose is now our first priority. But at the same time, we cannot ignore proper police investigation into the matter," he said.
The victim is in a coma ever since the alleged rape took place on November 28 last year.
"She is not responding to the treatment. We cannot predict as to how long she would take to recover," said Hospital Medical Officer BN Maharana, who was with Basak.
The Crime Branch, probing the case since January 10, arrested the four accused named in the FIR lodged on January 9 following the intervention of State Human Rights Commission.
Under attack for allegedly shielding the accused in the case, Agriculture Minister Pradip Maharathy had resigned on January 16 on "moral ground".
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know