NCSC not impressed with Pipili rape case probe
Cuttack: National Commission for Schedule Caste (NCSC) Director Diwakar Basak appeared unconvinced with the progress made in the police investigation into the alleged rape case of a Dalit girl of Pipili in Odisha`s Puri district.
The 19-year-old girl, who is admitted at SCB Medical College and Hospital here, is in lying in a coma.
After visiting the hospital twice in last fortnight, Basak said he is satisfied with the treatment given to the girl but was not convinced by the police inquiry into the
criminal aspect of the case.
"I am not convinced with the police investigation in the case...The state government needs to do a lot in this particular aspect," he told reporters here yesterday.
He said the girl was now getting better treatment in the Cuttack hospital where experts from AIIMS, New Delhi and other neurologists and music therapists were attending to her.
"Her recovery from comatose is now our first priority. But at the same time, we cannot ignore proper police investigation into the matter," he said.
The victim is in a coma ever since the alleged rape took place on November 28 last year.
"She is not responding to the treatment. We cannot predict as to how long she would take to recover," said Hospital Medical Officer BN Maharana, who was with Basak.
The Crime Branch, probing the case since January 10, arrested the four accused named in the FIR lodged on January 9 following the intervention of State Human Rights Commission.
Under attack for allegedly shielding the accused in the case, Agriculture Minister Pradip Maharathy had resigned on January 16 on "moral ground".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings