NCSC team to inquire into dalit girl rape case
Bhubaneswar: National Commission for
Scheduled Castes (NCSC) will send a team to Odisha to inquire
into the rape of the 19 year-old dalit girl in Pipili, an
incident which is rocking the Odisha.
"This is an unfortunate incident. The NCSC will send a
team to Odisha in a day or to inquire into the matter," its
chairman PL Punia said over phone from Delhi.
Expressing his concern over the manner in which the
state police handled the incident which barely 20 km from the
state capital, Punia said such type of incidents were
repeatedly taking place in the state.
"The state government is not taking appropriate action
in such kind of incidents," he said.
Earlier, Odisha State Scheduled Caste-Scheduled Tribe
Youth and Student Council, in a memorandum to NCSC demanded
adequate protection and monetary relief to the rape victim.
"We hope NCSC will give direction to the state
government about providing security and relief to the victim`s
family," said council president Haladhar Sethy.
Offical sources here said Chief Minister Naveen
Patnaik has assured a group of JNU students agitating in front
of his residence in New Delhi that `stringent action` will be
taken against the persons involved in the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- Twitter war over IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani challenges Rahul Gandhi to debate over any issue, anywhere