NCW begins probe into Pipili rape case
Bhubaneswar: A three-member team of the
National Commission for Women (NCW) today began a probe into the rape and attempt-to-murder of 19-year-old Dalit girl at Pipili in Odisha`s Puri district.
Led by its member secretary Anita Agnihotri, the team
visited SCB Medical College Hospital at Cuttack where the
victim had been admitted at its ICU. They could not speak to
her as she has been in semi-coma stage.
Agnihotri, however, spoke to the girl`s father and
relatives who were present at the hospital during the visit.
She also enquired about the victim`s treatment and spoke to hospital superintendent and doctors.
The girl was admitted at the hospital following a Orissa
High Court direction. The HC had been monitoring the treatment
and investigation into the case.
The victim is suffering from speech impairment since the
rape incident on November 28, 2011 as the miscreants had tried
to kill her by strangulation.
Before leaving Cuttack, the NCW team met the DGP and the
DIG, CID and Crime Branch, who is probing the incident.
Though the girl was allegedly raped by four persons on
November 28, 2011, police registered an FIR on January 9 this
year after the State Human Rights Commission intervened.
State agriculture minister Pradip Maharathy, who had been
charged with shielding the persons accused in the rape case,
had resigned on "moral ground" on January 19.
The four accused were arrested in connection with the
incident to which the Odisha government has ordered a judicial
probe by Justice P K Mohanty, a retired judge of Orissa High
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened