NCW in Odisha to probe woman teacher`s murder
Bhubaneswar: A team of the National Commission for Women (NCW) arrived in Odisha Tuesday to probe the death of a woman teacher who was set on fire for allegedly refusing to withdraw a sexual assault complaint.
The two-member team comprising commission member Hemalata Kheria and Manasi Pradhan, after arriving at the Biju Patnaik International air port here, proceeded to Delanga area of the Puri district, the native of the killed teacher.
The team will meet the family members of the teacher and then go to Rayagada district, where the murder took place, a senior official of the state home department told reporters.
The team is also likely to quiz several people, including concerned officials, after examining a video footage of the teacher recorded before she died.
Itishree Pradhan died Nov 1 in a private hospital of Visakhapatnam, four days after she was set on fire in a residential government school at Tikiri in Rayagada district, 420 km from the state capital Bhubaneswar.
She had refused to withdraw a sexual assault complaint against a local school inspector, Netrananda Dandsena.
She was watching a television show along with some children when the assailant entered the school room, poured kerosene and set her on fire. Pradhan sustained more than 90 percent burn injuries.
Dandsena was arrested Oct 30. The government dismissed Dandsena, a district inspector of school, and an investigating police officer and the head of the relevant police station.
The government handed over the case later to its crime branch police. The NCW team during its eight-day stay in the state is also likely to investigate several other cases of atrocities against women.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- DNA: Bharat Bandh hits normal life; Bengal, Kerala among most affected
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda