New land bill will prevent forcible acquisition: Ramesh
Bhubaneswar: The new land bill once implemented would stop forced land acquisition in the country and would protect the rights of farmers and tribals, Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh said here on Wednesday.
"For the first time in the country, after this bill there will be no forcible land acquisition. There will be no police firing anywhere," Ramesh said at a press conference here.
Describing the Land Acquisition Bill as historic and revolutionary, the union minister said that provisions have been made to provide more compensation to the people.
The bill was passed by parliament in its Monsoon session.
The farmers and landowners would be paid up to four times the market value for land acquired in rural areas. In urban areas, they would get two times the market value.
Citing the example of Niyamgiri mining project in Odisha which was rejected by the local people few months ago, he said consents of gram sabha (village councils) would be needed for acquiring land in all scheduled areas.
Similarly, in other areas consultation with local people would be mandatory.
Approval of 80 percent of local people would be required for private projects in other area, while 70 percent landowners need to give their consent for projects which would be carried out under public-private partnership mode.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- UK warns of Brexit `shadow` on world economy
- 1st Test: Virat Kohli, R Ashwin shine as India thrash West Indies by innings and 92 runs
- Teenage friend of Munich gunman arrested: police
- 11 injured in blast in German city of Ansbach; suspected bomber killed in explosion
- Scoreboard: India vs West Indies, First Test