`NGOs spread discontent among communities in Kandhamal`
Bhubaneswar: Certain NGOs and voluntary
organisations were spreading discontent among people in
Kandhamal district, the panel probing the killing of VHP
leader Laxamananda Saraswati was informed on Thursday.
"Discrimination by some Christian NGOs created
discontentment among the tribal Kandhas and Dalit Panas in
Kandhamal district," Sridhar Mohanta, the Investigating
Officer of the Saraswati killing case, told the Justice S C
Mohanta, who was the sub-divisional police officer of
Baliguda during last year`s communal riot told the one-man
commission headed by Justice Mohapatra that "some
organisations were discriminating against non-Christians.
"The persons, who were converting into Christianity
were getting better facilities from Christian organisations
which were not available to those not converting," he said,
adding this created discontent among communities in Kandhamal.
Naming four NGOs, Mohanta pointed out that these
organisations were working for the development of the minority
community while others were denied facilities.
As the NGOs were engaged in providing education,
healthcare and other facilities to one selected community,
this caused heart burning among other communities in the same
locality, he said.
"Discontentment and long hostility manifested in
violence after the killing of Saraswati," Mohanta said, adding
"some Sangh Parivar organisations were also active in
Kandhamal, particularly after Saraswati established his
ashrams at Jalespeta and Chakapada in the district."
While NGOs like Jan Kalyan, World Vision, Asha Kiran
and Jagruti were working for development of Christian, Sangh
Parivar organisations like VHP and Bajrang Dal were active in
development of non-Christians like tribal Kandhas, Mohanta
Saraswati had set up ashram schools for the tribal
One Kui Jana Kalyan Samiti was also working for the
Scheduled Caste people while Kui Samaj Coordination Committee
had role in organising the Kandha tribes, he pointed out.
On the threat perception, Mohanta in his affidavit
said "threat from minority community was there for which
security was provided to Saraswati".
To a question, Mohanta said though he was appointed as
the investigation officer in the case, he was not handed over
the threat letter to Saraswati which was received by the
Tumudibandha police station a day before his murder on August
"When I handed over the Saraswati killing case to
Crime Branch on August 28, I could not give the threat letter
to it," he said.
Mohanta admitted that only four unarmed trainee sepoys
were present at the spot when Saraswati and four others
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’