NHRC issues showcause notice to Odisha in scribe assault case
Cuttack: The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) has issued a showcause notice to Odisha Government asking why monetary relief of Rs 25,000 would not be recommended to be paid to a Bhubaneswar-based journalist, who was unlawfully assaulted by police.
The alleged police assault on journalist Subhakanta Padhihary in March 2013 was viewed by the Commission as a violation of his Human Rights by public servants. The Commission also held that Padhihary is entitled for monetary relief under section 18 of Protection of Human Rights Act of 1993.
The police assault on the journalist came while the latter had gone to cover a demonstration organised in front of the official residence of the State Chief Minister.
Two cases in this connection were registered against the erring policemen at the local police station, while two constables have since been placed under suspension in this connection.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- This is how Dr APJ Abdul Kalam looked when he was a kid!
- Govt reviews porn ban order, blocks only child pornography-related websites
- 'Idiots are lined up at every step': Young IAS officer's fight against sexual harassment
- Which Kapoor does Katrina like the most besides beau Ranbir?