NHRC starts probe into alleged torture of woman
Berhampur: National Human Right Commission (NHRC) has started an inquiry into alleged torture of a woman and her two sons at Matia Borei village in Orissa`s Ganjam district in March, last year.
The woman, L Sebati Reddy, and her two sons were
allegedly paraded in the village after their getting their
heads shaved as the villagers suspected that she was
practising witchcraft, official sources said.
NHRC Rapporteur Bhramarabara Sarangi visited the
village yesterday to inquiry into the matter after the
commission received a petition from Reddy alleging violation
of her rights, theys said.
During his visit Sarangi discussed about the matter
with the police and villagers.
Police said at least 18 persons were arrested for
their alleged involvement in the incident. Charge-sheet was
also filed in the court against them, said inspector in-charge
(Patapur) JK Patnaik.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case