NHRC starts probe into alleged torture of woman
Berhampur: National Human Right Commission (NHRC) has started an inquiry into alleged torture of a woman and her two sons at Matia Borei village in Orissa`s Ganjam district in March, last year.
The woman, L Sebati Reddy, and her two sons were
allegedly paraded in the village after their getting their
heads shaved as the villagers suspected that she was
practising witchcraft, official sources said.
NHRC Rapporteur Bhramarabara Sarangi visited the
village yesterday to inquiry into the matter after the
commission received a petition from Reddy alleging violation
of her rights, theys said.
During his visit Sarangi discussed about the matter
with the police and villagers.
Police said at least 18 persons were arrested for
their alleged involvement in the incident. Charge-sheet was
also filed in the court against them, said inspector in-charge
(Patapur) JK Patnaik.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- US zoo kills gorilla after 3-year-old boy falls into enclosure
- EC cancels polls for two remaining Tamil Nadu Assembly seats - Know why
- Cloudbursts, rainfall in Tehri district of Uttarakhand; Gangotri-Kedarnath road closed, pilgrims stranded
- WATCH HIGHLIGHTS: Real Madrid vs Atletico Madrid - UEFA Champions League final
- Daniel Craig 'exhausted' from playing James Bond