NHRC starts probe into alleged torture of woman
Berhampur: National Human Right Commission (NHRC) has started an inquiry into alleged torture of a woman and her two sons at Matia Borei village in Orissa`s Ganjam district in March, last year.
The woman, L Sebati Reddy, and her two sons were
allegedly paraded in the village after their getting their
heads shaved as the villagers suspected that she was
practising witchcraft, official sources said.
NHRC Rapporteur Bhramarabara Sarangi visited the
village yesterday to inquiry into the matter after the
commission received a petition from Reddy alleging violation
of her rights, theys said.
During his visit Sarangi discussed about the matter
with the police and villagers.
Police said at least 18 persons were arrested for
their alleged involvement in the incident. Charge-sheet was
also filed in the court against them, said inspector in-charge
(Patapur) JK Patnaik.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you