NIA arrests PLA member from Odisha
New Delhi: An alleged member of the banned People`s Liberation Army (PLA) of Manipur was arrested from Odisha by the NIA which is probing the nexus between Maoists and terror groups of Northeast.
According to official spokesperson of the National Investigation Agency, Asem Ibotombi Singh alias Angou was arrested yesterday with the assistance of Odisha Police in Gopalpur area of Ganjam district, where he was settled and worked as an overground agent for PLA.
Singh is alleged to have been functioning as `secretary` of the `External Affairs Wing` of the banned terror outfit.
It was also alleged that PLA had imparted training in handling of fire arms and communication devices to Maoist cadres in Saranda forest on Jharkhand-Odisha border in 2010, the spokesperson said.
On May 23, the NIA had taken custody of Indranil Chanda, an alleged Naxal leader arrested by the West Bengal Police.
According to NIA sources, Indranil was in-charge of Maoist activities in Assam and also a key liaison between the Maoist and Peoples Liberation Army in Manipur.
NIA had filed its charge sheet earlier on May 21, which is the first documentary evidence submitted before a court about nexus between northeast insurgents and Maoists.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'