Nine acquitted of Khandhamal violence
Phulbani (Orissa): A fast track court
here Saturday acquitted nine persons accused of indulging communal
violence in Kandhamal district in 2008.
Additional Sessions Judge (Fast Track Court No 1),
Phulbani, Sovana Kumar Das aquitted the accused due to lack of
The nine belonged to Baraganda village under Gochapara
police station and were arrested on charges of house torching,
unlawful assembly and other charges under Riots Act consequent
upon the riots in 2008.
Altogether, 891 cases had been registered in connection
with the riots in the district of which 129 cases disposed of
In all, 162 persons were convicted including five
lifers while 682 persons were acquitted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- PMO seeks report on Air India flights delayed by 'VIPs' Rijiju, Fadnavis
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding