Nine persons convicted in Kandhamal riot case
Phulbani: A local court here
on Thursday convicted nine persons and acquitted three others for
their alleged involvement in a case of murder and house
burning during Kandhamal riot in 2008.
Fast Track Court-II judge CR Das sentenced three
years imprisonment and penalty of Rs 5,000 each to nine
persons after finding their involvement in the killing of
Ajiba Digal of Rugudi Sahi under Barakhama police outpost in
Baliguda police station jurisdiction.
The mob, in the aftermath of Swami Laxmanananda
Saraswati`s killing, set fire on house of Digal and attacked
him on August 26, 2008. Subsequently, Digal succumbed to
injuries, police said.
While convicting nine persons, the court acquitted
three others for not having clear evidence of their
involvement, a government advocate said.
The court also said that the convicted persons would
undergo imprisonment for four more months in case penalty was
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez