Nine persons convicted in Kandhamal riot case
Phulbani: A local court here
on Thursday convicted nine persons and acquitted three others for
their alleged involvement in a case of murder and house
burning during Kandhamal riot in 2008.
Fast Track Court-II judge CR Das sentenced three
years imprisonment and penalty of Rs 5,000 each to nine
persons after finding their involvement in the killing of
Ajiba Digal of Rugudi Sahi under Barakhama police outpost in
Baliguda police station jurisdiction.
The mob, in the aftermath of Swami Laxmanananda
Saraswati`s killing, set fire on house of Digal and attacked
him on August 26, 2008. Subsequently, Digal succumbed to
injuries, police said.
While convicting nine persons, the court acquitted
three others for not having clear evidence of their
involvement, a government advocate said.
The court also said that the convicted persons would
undergo imprisonment for four more months in case penalty was
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH