Nine persons convicted in Kandhamal riot case
Phulbani: A local court here
on Thursday convicted nine persons and acquitted three others for
their alleged involvement in a case of murder and house
burning during Kandhamal riot in 2008.
Fast Track Court-II judge CR Das sentenced three
years imprisonment and penalty of Rs 5,000 each to nine
persons after finding their involvement in the killing of
Ajiba Digal of Rugudi Sahi under Barakhama police outpost in
Baliguda police station jurisdiction.
The mob, in the aftermath of Swami Laxmanananda
Saraswati`s killing, set fire on house of Digal and attacked
him on August 26, 2008. Subsequently, Digal succumbed to
injuries, police said.
While convicting nine persons, the court acquitted
three others for not having clear evidence of their
involvement, a government advocate said.
The court also said that the convicted persons would
undergo imprisonment for four more months in case penalty was
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok