Nine pilgrims from Bengal killed in road mishap
Balasore (Odisha): Nine pilgrims from West Bengal were killed and 10 injured when a truck rammed into a stationary tourist bus near Jamjhadi on National Highway-5 on Tuesday.
A bus carrying about 65 pilgrims from Purusotampur area in East Midnapur of West Bengal was parked alongside the road at Jamjhadi, about 42 km from here, when the truck hit it from the rear, police said.
The passengers were alighting from the bus for refreshment in a nearby roadside eatery when they were crushed to death.
While seven occupants of the bus died on the spot, two of the seriously injured, who were immediately taken to nearby Soro Hospital, succumbed to injuries.
The dead included three women and the helper of the bus.
While eight of them were identified as Tapan Bera, Ashish Tripathy, Gurupada Sasmal, Laxman Pal, Dipak Si, Samali Si, Kuka Maiti and Abha Maiti, the helper was yet to be identified.
The driver and helper of the lime stone-laden truck fled away from the accident spot.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Sheena murder case: Unfolding deceit, lies and murder!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Osama bin Laden is alive, staying in Bahamas, claims Edward Snowden
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack