Niranjan Pujari set to be Odisha Assembly speaker
Bhubaneswar: Senior Biju Janata Dal (BJD) leader and former state Cabinet minister Niranjan Pujari is set to become the next speaker of the Odisha Assembly, with the party proposing his name on Saturday.
Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik proposed 53-year-old Pujari`s name and Parliamentary Affairs Minister Bikram Keshari Arukh seconded it.
Election of the speaker will be held on Monday.
Pujari is likely to be elected unopposed as the ruling party has 117 members in the 147-member Assembly. Opposition the Congress and the Bharatiya Janata Party have 16 and 10 legislators respectively.
Pujari is a four time legislator who was re-elected from Sonepur constituency.
He was a Cabinet minister in the state from 2011-14 and held charge of the departments of industries, excise, food supplies and consumer welfare, and science and technology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why