Niranjan Pujari set to be Odisha Assembly speaker
Bhubaneswar: Senior Biju Janata Dal (BJD) leader and former state Cabinet minister Niranjan Pujari is set to become the next speaker of the Odisha Assembly, with the party proposing his name on Saturday.
Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik proposed 53-year-old Pujari`s name and Parliamentary Affairs Minister Bikram Keshari Arukh seconded it.
Election of the speaker will be held on Monday.
Pujari is likely to be elected unopposed as the ruling party has 117 members in the 147-member Assembly. Opposition the Congress and the Bharatiya Janata Party have 16 and 10 legislators respectively.
Pujari is a four time legislator who was re-elected from Sonepur constituency.
He was a Cabinet minister in the state from 2011-14 and held charge of the departments of industries, excise, food supplies and consumer welfare, and science and technology.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan