Niranjan Pujari set to be Odisha Assembly speaker
Bhubaneswar: Senior Biju Janata Dal (BJD) leader and former state Cabinet minister Niranjan Pujari is set to become the next speaker of the Odisha Assembly, with the party proposing his name on Saturday.
Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik proposed 53-year-old Pujari`s name and Parliamentary Affairs Minister Bikram Keshari Arukh seconded it.
Election of the speaker will be held on Monday.
Pujari is likely to be elected unopposed as the ruling party has 117 members in the 147-member Assembly. Opposition the Congress and the Bharatiya Janata Party have 16 and 10 legislators respectively.
Pujari is a four time legislator who was re-elected from Sonepur constituency.
He was a Cabinet minister in the state from 2011-14 and held charge of the departments of industries, excise, food supplies and consumer welfare, and science and technology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA