Bhubaneswar: Rejecting BJP`s demand,
Orissa government on Monday said it did not require Army help
for rescue and relief operation in the flood-hit districts
even as the situation continued to remain grim.
The state government`s clarification came in response
to a demand made by senior BJP leader Bishwabhushan
The state government had deployed over 640 trained
personnel belonging to Orissa Disaster Rapid Action Force
(ODRAF), National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) and Fire
Brigade in rescue and search operation while state officials
were engaged in relief distribution, revenue and disaster
management minister SN Patro said.
Besides, the state government was using helicopters of
Air Force and Navy for relief operation. "Apart from boats
provided by NDRF, the state government had arranged over 460
boats," the minister said.
The state government, however, admitted that some
pockets in Jajpur and Kendrapara districts had been cut off
due to high flood in rivers Brahmani and Baitarani.
Meanwhile, the opposition BJP held the state
government responsible for the misery of over 21 lakh people
due to the second spell of flood. While 18 districts were
affected by flood in Mahanadi river system, 10 more districts
had come under the grip of the calamity, they pointed out.
"Orissa government should have taken help of Army as
thousands of people continued to remain trapped in flood
waters," former Revenue Minister Harichandan told reporters.