No need for CM to file affidavit in Pipili case: Odisha govt
Cuttack: Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik, who also holds the home portfolio, will not file any affidavit before the Justice PK Mohanty Commission probing the sensational Pipili gang rape and murder case.
Informing this to the commission on Saturday through an affidavit, the state government said there is no need for the home minister to file any affidavit before it since a number of government officials, including the home secretary and the director general of police have already filed theirs.
The commission had last month asked the government to respond to a petition made by the victim’s family counsel Nishikant Mishra.
Mishra had urged the commission to bring the home minister into the purview of the probe when the government had defended summoning Pipili MLA Pradeep Maharathy saying the legislator was not in the know of things as he was not heading the home ministry.
Mishra and the government advocate have submitted their respective witness list to the commission.
Mishra has named the police commissioner, Bhubaneswar deputy commissioner of police, assistant commissioner of police, Mancheswar police station inspector and the ambulance driver who ferried the body of the victim from the hospital to the crematorium as witnesses for cross examination.
Going through the witness list, the commission ordered former Puri superintendent of police AN Sinha, Pipili sub-divisional Rajkishore Rout and a forensic officer JB Patnaik to appear before it on December 15 for deposition and facing cross examinations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand