No plans to reintroduce Sun worship in Konark temple: Govt
New Delhi: Government on Wednesday said it has
no plans to reintroduce the practice of regular Sun worship at
the famous Konark temple in Orissa.
Replying to a question in Lok Sabha, Minister of State
for Planning and Parliamentary Affairs V Narayanasamy also
said no incident of stones coming off from the temple have
been reported in the recent past.
"There is no proposal to reintroduce the practice of
regular Sun worship at the Sun temple, Konark," Narayanasamy,
who also holds ad-hoc charge of Culture Ministry, said.
There have been demands on and off from various groups
in Orissa for reintroducing the pratice of Sun worship at the
temple, also a World Heritage Site.
Asked whether the government was aware that stones are
coming off from the temple, he said no such incident has taken
place at the site in the recent past.
"A communication in this regard was received from
State Government and it had been informed that no such
incident has taken place," Narayanasamy said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre