No question of withdrawing BSF camps from Malkangiri: DGP
Koraput: Odisha Police on Monday rejected the Maoists demand of withdrawing BSF camps from Chitrakonda area, the Naxal hot-bed of Malkangiri district, while the state government stressed on the augmentation of developmental activities in the Southern districts.
Director General of Police (DGP) Prakash Mishra said the Maoists blasted a landmine killing four BSF jawans out of frustration as the government did not withdrew the para- military force as per their demand. The Maoists hand are tied due to presence of BSF jawans in the area, the DGP claimed.
Odisha`s home secretary V K Saxena and DGP Mishra today reviewed the ongoing anti-Maoist operations in Southern districts of Koraput, Malkangiri, Nabarangpur and Rayagada here six days after the killing of BSF jawans.
Focusing on the cut-off area of Malkangiri district where launch service was stalled from August 21 to 30 to the 151 villages in and around Balimela reservoir reportedly for Maoist threat, the DGP said.
As three new BSF camps were established in the Chitrakonda area, the Maoists out of frustration halted the launch service expecting that by this we will withdraw forces. However, question of withdrawing forces from Chitrakonda doesn’t arise.
Describing the Maoist offensive of August 27 as unfortunate, the DGP rejected alleged lapses in intelligence failure and said steps will be taken to ensure such incidents doesn`t occur.
According to the DGP as the Maoist activities has been contained to a good extent in Narayanpatna and Bandhugaon blocks of Koraput district, the Naxals were in search of an oppourtinty to hit back and they succeeded in attacking the BSF convoy.
The home secretary said development and security goes hand in hand in the Maoist-hit districts and more emphasis is given to rural connectivity and electrification of villages.
Earlier on the day, the DGP held meeting with the SP’s, collectors of the four districts and top BSF officials regarding Maoist activities in the area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!