No specific threat during Rath Yatra at Puri: Odisha DGP
Bhubaneswar: Ruling out possibility of terrorist activities during the annual Rath Yatra of Lord Jagannath, Odisha`s Director General of Police (DGP) Prakash Mishra on Monday said the state has sought more Rapid Action Force (RAF) for ensuring a peaceful festival this time on June 29.
"There is no specific terrorist threat during the ensuing Snan Purnima (bathing festival) and Rath Yatra at Puri," Mishra said on sidelines of the passing out parade of policemen here.
While Snan Purnima will be held on June 13, Rath Yatra is scheduled to be celebrated on June 29. On Snan Purnima, the trinity - Lord Balabhadra, Devi Subhadra and Lord Jagannth - are brought out of the main temple and seated on a pandal where priests pour 108 pots of cold water on them. The deities also adorn `Gajanan Vesh` (elephant attire) after the bathing rituals.
Mishra also rejected media reports which claimed there was terrorist threat during the festival after the mysterious visit of two operative of Indian Mujahidin to the state capital and Puri last year.
A foolproof security system would be in place to ensure safety and peace during the Snan Yatra and Rath Yatra this year, Mishra said adding more number of RPF had been sought keeping in mind their proposed deployment in large numbers during the Nabakalebara festival next year.
Apart from this, the temple administration has also decided to fit a good number of CCTVs inside and outside the 12th century shrine in order to keep a watch on the movement of any suspected elements, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range