No specific threat during Rath Yatra at Puri: Odisha DGP
Bhubaneswar: Ruling out possibility of terrorist activities during the annual Rath Yatra of Lord Jagannath, Odisha`s Director General of Police (DGP) Prakash Mishra on Monday said the state has sought more Rapid Action Force (RAF) for ensuring a peaceful festival this time on June 29.
"There is no specific terrorist threat during the ensuing Snan Purnima (bathing festival) and Rath Yatra at Puri," Mishra said on sidelines of the passing out parade of policemen here.
While Snan Purnima will be held on June 13, Rath Yatra is scheduled to be celebrated on June 29. On Snan Purnima, the trinity - Lord Balabhadra, Devi Subhadra and Lord Jagannth - are brought out of the main temple and seated on a pandal where priests pour 108 pots of cold water on them. The deities also adorn `Gajanan Vesh` (elephant attire) after the bathing rituals.
Mishra also rejected media reports which claimed there was terrorist threat during the festival after the mysterious visit of two operative of Indian Mujahidin to the state capital and Puri last year.
A foolproof security system would be in place to ensure safety and peace during the Snan Yatra and Rath Yatra this year, Mishra said adding more number of RPF had been sought keeping in mind their proposed deployment in large numbers during the Nabakalebara festival next year.
Apart from this, the temple administration has also decided to fit a good number of CCTVs inside and outside the 12th century shrine in order to keep a watch on the movement of any suspected elements, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey